Sunday, May 10, 2015


We got dropped in first series yesterday at the Del Bay Hunt Test at Rebel Ridge Farms, Elkton, MD.

Great facility.

Here's picture.

Basically run around/through a dry technical pond.

My biggest complaint was the flyer.  The flyer station was in the ditch, below the horizon.  The gunners hand threw the bird and shot very quickly.  Many were landing up on the top, so dogs had good view, not great, but good.

Argus' flyer was terrible.  low throw, I could barely see and I'm 6' tall, Argus when sitting is about 2'.  the Bird hooked left, and down,  They basically shot it on below ground level from Argus' point of view.  I had hooked left, so the line to the bird was basically through the flyer station.  My understanding is that this would normally be called a "No Bird".  Surprisingly, judges released us.  I thought Argus didn't see it, but he had a good initial line.

Well, he goes down into the ditch.  I can't see him or bird, so I wait.  And wait,  He eventually pops up near the tree where the #1 bird was thrown from.  Not, the land drops off behind the flyer station, so from the line, Argus went into the ditch, I never saw him until about a minute later when he hunted back.  Not wanting him to switch, I handled him to the bird.

Ok.  Got Argus back - said in low voice - "shitty flyer", lined him up  - Argus seemed to want to get the #2 bird - so that's what he usually does, so I said fine.  I didn't think he had a great look at it, so thought it good to get it over with.  Well, he starts on good line, then hangs a left to get the #1 bird.  He stops the hunt though about 10 ft from the bird.  I wait him out.  Wait, wait, wait.  I can only think that since I handled on flyer, he was looking for more handling.

Well, finally got tired, blew couple of whistles and he picked up bird.

Sent him for third one.  Bad line, hooked left, went back to #1 bird.  Tried to handle, but he refused a hard right cast, so called him in.  Disappointing.

I think he would have done the blind well - that's one we practice at Estabrook - over a horse jump.

We honored on lead.

Lessons learned - ask for no bird - if think bad.

Practice marking with trees in background.

Practice marks that converge.





No comments:

Post a Comment